- •Rocketry, aviation, and shipping require hard-to-replace, energy-dense fossil fuels
- •Cylopropanated fuels are energy dense, but their synthesis is challenging
- •We produced polycyclopropanated (POP) fuels using a bacterial host
- •The POP biofuels can have higher energy density than current aerospace fuels
Context & scale
- Electric Vehicles Initiative
- Holladay J.
- Abdullah Z.
- Heyne J.
- Olmer N.
- Comer B.
- Roy B.
- Mao X.
- Rutherford D.
Fact sheet #2: aviation and climate change (Air Transport Action Group), October 2020.
- Ross M.
- Vedda J.A.
Bioprospection of polycyclopropanating iPKSs
- Layer G.
- Grage K.
- Teschner T.
- Schünemann V.
- Breckau D.
- Masoumi A.
- Jahn M.
- Heathcote P.
- Trautwein A.X.
- Jahn D.
The POP BGC in Streptomyces albireticuli NRRL B-670 is silent
Heterologous production of POP-FAs
Structural characterization of fuelimycins
Improving fuelimycins production
Rare codon usage
Control of oxidative stress
POP-FAMES are viable biofuels for high energy applications
Global Energy Review 2021. (IEA). April, 2021.
- Nguyen L.T.
- Schmidt H.A.
- von Haeseler A.
- Minh B.Q.
Data and code availability
Declaration of interests
- Document S1. Supplemental experimental procedures, Figures S1–S27, Tables S4, S6, and S8, Methods Tables S1–S6, and supplemental references
- Table S1. Genomes mined for POP iPKS BGCs
- Table S2. BGC entries from MiBiG mined for homologs of Pop1-4
- Table S3. Formulas, calculated m/z in the negative ionization mode and retention time of POP fatty acids
- Table S5. Plasmids used or constructed for this project and their features
- Table S7. Calculated fuel properties for postulated and experimentally produced POP-derived molecules
- Global EV outlook 2020. Entering the decade of electric drive (International Energy Agency), June 2020.
- Sustainable aviation fuel: review of technical pathways report (Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy), September 2022.
- Impact of maritime transport emissions on coastal air quality in Europe.Atmos. Environ. 2014; 90: 96-105
- Greenhouse gas emissions from global shipping, 2013–2015 (International Council on Clean Transportation), October 2017.https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/Global-shipping-GHG-emissions-2013-2015_ICCT-Report_17102017_vF.pdfDate: 2017
- Fact sheet #2: aviation and climate change (Air Transport Action Group), October 2020.
- The contribution of global aviation to anthropogenic climate forcing for 2000 to 2018.Atmos. Environ. (1994). 2021; 244117834
- The policy and science of rocket emissions (The Aerospace Corporation), March 31, 2018.
- Microbial synthesis of pinene.ACS Synth. Biol. 2014; 3: 466-475
- High-density renewable fuels based on the selective dimerization of pinenes.Energy Fuels. 2010; 24: 267-273
- History of Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines.American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2006
- Rocket Propulsion Elements.Wiley, 2016
- High-Energy-Density Fuels for Advanced Propulsion: Design and Synthesis.Wiley, 2020
- Synthesis and properties of oligocyclopropyl-containing natural products and model compounds.Chem. Rev. 2003; 103: 1051-1070
- Electrochemical borylation of carboxylic acids.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2021; 118e2109408118
- Synthesis and fuel properties of high-energy density cyclopropanated monoterpenes.Fuel Process. Technol. 2021; 222106952
- A novel antifungal antibiotic, FR-900848. I. Production, isolation, physico-chemical and biological properties.J. Antibiot. (Tokyo). 1990; 43: 748-754
- Discovery, isolation, structure elucidation, and biosynthesis of U-106305, a cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibitor from UC 11136.J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1995; 117: 10629-10634
- Biosynthesis of the structurally unique polycyclopropanated polyketide-nucleoside hybrid jawsamycin (FR-900848).Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2014; 53: 5423-5426
- Stepwise cyclopropanation on the polycyclopropanated polyketide formation in jawsamycin biosynthesis.Org. Biomol. Chem. 2017; 15: 1076-1079
- Biofuels for a sustainable future.Cell. 2021; 184: 1636-1647
- Radical S-adenosylmethionine enzyme coproporphyrinogen III oxidase HemN: functional features of the [4Fe-4S] cluster and the two bound S-adenosyl-L-methionines.J. Biol. Chem. 2005; 280: 29038-29046
- A radical S-adenosyl-L-methionine enzyme and a methyltransferase catalyze cyclopropane formation in natural product biosynthesis.Nat. Commun. 2018; 9: 2771
- The Hotdog fold: wrapping up a superfamily of thioesterases and dehydratases.BMC Bioinformatics. 2004; 5: 109
- Crystal structure of thioesterase SgcE10 supporting common polyene intermediates in 9- and 10-membered enediyne core biosynthesis.ACS Omega. 2017; 2: 5159-5169
- A ring to rule them all: the effect of cyclopropane Fatty acids on the fluidity of lipid bilayers.J. Phys. Chem. B. 2015; 119: 5487-5495
- The structure and interactions of periplasmic domains of crucial MmpL membrane proteins from Mycobacterium tuberculosis.Chem. Biol. 2015; 22: 1098-1107
- Engineering Streptomyces coelicolor for heterologous expression of secondary metabolite gene clusters.Microb. Biotechnol. 2011; 4: 207-215
- NMR characterization of dihydrosterculic acid and its methyl ester.Lipids. 2006; 41: 393-396
- Total synthesis of the pentacyclopropane antifungal agent FR-900848.J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1996; 118: 11030-11037
- LIQUID: an open-source software for identifying lipids in LC-MS/MS-based lipidomics data.Bioinformatics. 2017; 33: 1744-1746
- Evolutionary flux of potentially bldA-dependent Streptomyces genes containing the rare leucine codon TTA.Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 2008; 94: 111-126
- Interplay between non-coding RNA transcription, stringent/relaxed phenotype and antibiotic production in Streptomyces ambofaciens.Antibiotics (Basel). 2021; 10: 947
- Pirin: a novel redox-sensitive modulator of primary and secondary metabolism in Streptomyces.Metab. Eng. 2018; 48: 254-268
- Development of next generation synthetic biology tools for use in Streptomyces venezuelae.ACS Synth. Biol. 2017; 6: 159-166
- Harnessing the intracellular triacylglycerols for titer improvement of polyketides in Streptomyces.Nat. Biotechnol. 2020; 38: 76-83
- Widespread activation of antibiotic biosynthesis by S-adenosylmethionine in streptomycetes.FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 2004; 238: 439-447
- Distribution and functional analysis of the phosphopantetheinyl transferase superfamily in Actinomycetales microorganisms.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2018; 115: 6828-6833
- Library of synthetic streptomyces regulatory sequences for use in promoter engineering of natural product biosynthetic gene clusters.ACS Synth. Biol. 2018; 7: 1946-1955
- A complete basis set model chemistry. VII. Use of the minimum population localization method.J. Chem. Phys. 2000; 112: 6532-6542
- Group contribution methodology based on the statistical associating fluid theory for heteronuclear molecules formed from Mie segments.J. Chem. Phys. 2014; 5054107
- Prediction of thermodynamic properties and phase behavior of fluids and mixtures with the SAFT-γ Mie group-contribution equation of state.J. Chem. Eng. Data. 2014; 59: 3272-3288
- Statistical associating fluid theory for chain molecules with attractive potentials of variable range.J. Chem. Phys. 1997; 106: 4168-4186
- A systematic method for selecting molecular descriptors as features when training models for predicting physiochemical properties.Fuel. 2022; 321123836
- Towards fuel composition and properties from two-dimensional gas chromatography with flame ionization and vacuum ultraviolet spectroscopy.Fuel. 2022; 312122709
- Techno-economic analysis and life-cycle greenhouse gas mitigation cost of five routes to bio-jet fuel blendstocks.Energy Environ. Sci. 2019; 12: 807-824
- Approaches for more efficient biological conversion of lignocellulosic feedstocks to biofuels and bioproducts.ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng. 2019; 7: 9062-9079
- Bioprocessing for biofuels.Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 2012; 23: 390-395
- Global Energy Review 2021. (IEA). April, 2021.
- A computational framework to explore large-scale biosynthetic diversity.Nat. Chem. Biol. 2020; 16: 60-68
- IQ-TREE: a fast and effective stochastic algorithm for estimating maximum-likelihood phylogenies.Mol. Biol. Evol. 2015; 32: 268-274https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msu300
- Golden gate shuffling: a one-pot DNA shuffling method based on type IIs restriction enzymes.PLoS One. 2009; 4e5553
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy